Welcome to our DIY guide on how to make an ocean drum! If you’re looking for a fun and creative musical project, then this tutorial is for you.
By following a few simple steps, you’ll be able to create your very own ocean drum, complete with soothing sounds that mimic the waves of the sea.
Whether you’re a teacher looking to incorporate this project into your classroom or someone who simply enjoys crafting, making an ocean drum is a rewarding experience.
Not only will you have a unique musical instrument, but you can also use it to add an enchanting accompaniment to songs about the ocean.
In this guide, we’ll take you through the process of making an ocean drum from start to finish.
We’ll cover everything from choosing the right container and fill material to securing the openings and adding personal touches with decorations.
Materials and Steps for Making an Ocean Drum
To make an ocean drum at home, you’ll need a few simple materials. These include:
- A sturdy container with at least one long and flat side, such as a shoebox or cereal box
- A fill material, such as rice, popcorn seeds, or dry beans
- Strong tape to secure all openings of the container
- Optional decorations, such as paint or colored tape
Once you have gathered all the necessary materials, follow these step-by-step instructions to make your ocean drum:
- Choose a container with a long and flat side that will serve as the “head” of the drum.
- Fill the container with your chosen fill material. The amount of fill material will depend on the size of your container and the desired sound. Experiment with different amounts to find the perfect balance.
- Tightly secure all openings of the container with strong tape to prevent any spillage.
- If desired, decorate the container with paint or colored tape to give it a personalized touch.
That’s it! You’ve successfully crafted your homemade ocean drum.
Now, you’re ready to explore the mesmerizing sounds of the ocean in the comfort of your own home. Have fun experimenting with different techniques and creating soothing melodies.
Playing the Ocean Drum and Conclusion
To play the homemade ocean drum you just made following the step-by-step tutorial, hold it level with both hands, similar to holding a lunch tray.
This will ensure that you have full control over the sound and movement of the drum. Now, it’s time to unleash the mesmerizing sounds of the ocean!
Start by practicing different techniques to create various ocean-like sounds. Tilt the ocean drum slightly from left to right, forward and backward in a circular motion.
This will produce a gentle flowing wave sound that will transport you to the shores of the sea.
For a crashing wave effect, tilt the ocean drum to make the fill material slide slowly and then jerk the drum back quickly.
This sudden movement will create a crashing sound that emulates the powerful waves of the ocean. It’s a thrilling sound that will add depth to your ocean-inspired musical compositions.
In addition to tilting the drum, you can also tap your fingers gently on one side of the drum to create rhythmic sounds.
Experiment with different finger patterns and rhythms to find the perfect beat that complements your ocean drum melody.
By practicing and exploring these techniques, you can further enhance your ocean drum playing skills and unlock the full potential of your homemade instrument.
Remember, the ocean is ever-changing, so don’t be afraid to let your creativity flow and create your unique sounds that reflect the vastness and beauty of the sea. Happy drumming!